Pendeen Parish Church
We are a thriving church community that sits at the heart of our wider village community along the tin coast in Cornwall. St John the Baptist is an historic and beautiful building in which we are fortunate to worship (and you usually find a few canine worshippers amongst us as well). However the real church is not the building (no matter how beautiful) but it is the people who worship here and we are a lively and diverse community who worship the living God.
Pendeen Church is a fine example of early Victorian architecture. One day in 1849 a few miners were standing in the Square, when the new vicar Robert Aitken came up and asked them to build a church. The men were too astonished to do anything but obey, and the arrival of a cartload of timber convinced them that the whole thing was not a joke. This first wooden church was only temporary and took three weeks to build. The wood from it was later used again for the floor of the permanent church, which was opened in 1852.